Director, Patient Advocacy
Vanda Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: VNDA) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products for the treatment of medical disorders to address unmet medical needs. The Director (Head of Patient Advocacy) position is a key part of the commercial team and reports to the Senior Marketing Director. The Director will interact with all other groups throughout the company and will be responsible for developing key relationships with patient organizations and advocacy groups.
Position Description & Responsibilities
Roles and responsibilities include the following:
- Identify key patient advocacy organizations in focused therapeutic areas.
- Build and sustain strategic partnerships with patient advocacy groups.
- Serve as the "voice of the patient" within Vanda Pharmaceuticals, ensuring the patient perspective is incorporated into marketing materials and campaigns.
- Develop a broad network of personal contacts with targeted association executives and staff.
- Identify and deliver on opportunities to support and collaborate with patient advocacy organizations in areas of mutual interest; analyze advocacy group resource needs to help identify gaps in disease awareness resources to enhance participation in patient advocacy organizations and patient identification.
- Develop and deliver patient advocacy strategies and programming to support Vanda products - building awareness and understanding, ensuring compliant and clear communications, supporting patient identification, disease awareness campaigns, trial recruitment, trial design, etc.
- Represent Vanda Pharmaceuticals in external advocacy organizations and at meetings and conferences.
- Develop and maintain a master calendar identifying critical patient advocacy meetings that Vanda should support.
- Generate and manage the annual advocacy budget, supporting departmental operations, travel, patient events and organizations involved in areas of interest to Vanda.
- Oversee grant and sponsorship process, in partnership with Legal, and actively work with patient advocacy groups on the submission and approval process.
- Create and implement programs for training of nurse educators and other patient advocates willing to assist in programs or regional events.
- Form strong collaborative relationships with internal cross functional colleagues to prioritize and deliver on patient advocacy functional priorities.
Successful candidates will have the following:
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- 7+ years' experience within the biotechnology/pharmaceutical or patient advocacy environment.
- Strong track record of building successful relationships between healthcare corporations and patient advocacy organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and a track record of prioritizing and developing communications and advocacy strategies and campaigns.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong leadership skills, self-motivated, and a team-player.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a team player in a dynamic, fast moving environment.
- A self-starter with a high energy level.
Vanda Pharmaceuticals offers a competitive compensation package with excellent benefits and a 401(k) matching program. Vanda is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, age, national origin, ethnicity, disability, or any other protected status designated by law.
Applicants should submit a cover letter with their Curriculum Vitae or Resume to:
Reference #: MK8005
Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc.
2200 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Suite 300E
Washington, DC 20037
« return to career opportunities